Pages

Friday, February 24, 2017

Big Sable Point Lighthouse - Five on Friday

Joining up with Amy over at Love Made my Home for another Five on Friday. Sounds like changes are ahead! Looking forward to continuing participation over at F.A.S.T blog - Family Attempting to Survive the Times - great blog, always interesting to see what they are up to.

Now onto my Five on Friday. It's been unseasonably warm here in Michigan - so  much so that there were actually people out in shorts last week. It really wasn't THAT warm, but when you've had well below freezing temperatures and no sunshine mostly since November it seems really warm. Let me tell you, there were lots of really white legs about! Anyway, because it was so nice out we took a trip to one of my favourite lighthouses - Big Sable Point Lighthouse on Lake Michigan near Ludington.


The lighthouse was built in 1867. There was a growing lumber industry in the area and a number of shipwrecks on the lake. In 1855 there were twelve shipwrecks!


The tower is 112 feet high - it is one of the few Michigan lighthouses with a tower over 100 feet. It's quite a climb to the top as we did it last summer. It isn't open in the winter months. In the summer volunteers stay at the lighthouse and conduct tours.


There have been 15 lighthouse keepers - the first being in 1869 and the last in 1968.

It was the last Michigan Lighthouse to get electricity and plumbing in the late 1940s.


This is the current fog signal. An older fog signal fell into the lake due to erosion in 1943. Erosion around the area is still a concern.

It's quite a walk to the lighthouse (1.8 miles from the carpark) and all the time I was imagining what an isolated place it must have been back in the 1800s. I can imagine being out there in the middle of winter with the snow, ice and cold winds blasting against the lighthouse. It looked so beautiful the day we went, but I can imagine it is quite daunting in the a snow storm.


 They put wooden barriers to try to cut down on the sand drifting as it is surrounded by dunes.


They don't always work! This is the sign as it was the day we went.


This is from last summer.

I hope you've enjoyed the little tour!


20 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your tour, thank you. I can well imagine how bleak and isolated the lighthouse must have been early in its history. It looks like a great place to visit. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic lighthouse! I have always been fascinated by them and used to find it almost magical whenever we would visit them when we were children. Fantastic photos!
    Thank you for your support with the Five on Friday swapover :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the tour of Big Sable Point Lighthouse. I love lighthouses. Maybe it's because I think they are romantic -- too many Gothic romances when I was younger???!!!!! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine who lives east of Detroit says he got his heating fixed just in time for Michigan to 'cancel winter'. I'm pleased it's warmed up for you.

    The lighthouse looks amazing. I grew up in a seaside town and lighthouses always remind me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an impressive looking lighthouse and the house is attractive too, but it must have needed dedication to be in that isolated area in times past. It's good that volunteers stay there in the summer months to show visitors around. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lighthouses! I enjoyed your tour very much :) We, too, are having surprisingly mild weather. Having the windows open has been blissful (not to mention the lowered oil bill!)Have a wonderful weekend... Hopefully this weather will continue; I would love an early spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lighthouses are such beautiful things, but the lives of lighthouse keepers were lonely and dangerous. There are still a few manned lighthouses on our coasts, and I'm sure they are thankful that communication is more reliable. The drifting sand is really something. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lighthouses, not to go up in, scared of heights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful lighthouse. Many many Finns immigrated to US in the late 1800, I think that also to Michigan as lumber workers. None of my close relatives though. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's certainly wonderful to see those bright blue skies. The lattice work of the stairs inside the lighthouse looks gorgeous from underneath. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wished I could see the lighthouse life ! here it is not warm at all !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finding a lighthouse is one of my favorites when i take a trip to ocean.
    The old historical light house is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is a beauty! Well worth the trek out to see it and enjoy the open space there at the lake!
    I was just as surprised as you to see the white leg brigade out here this week too!
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're getting some brighter weather, it's cold, wet and grey here. Love the lighthouse surrounded by dunes xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love lighthouses Sharon, so I enjoyed your post!
    Have you read the book 'The light between Oceans' by ML Stedman?
    A beautiful story about a lighthouse keeper on an island off the coast of Western Australia - I loved it.
    The film was out a while ago but I missed it, however we downloaded it and watched it last night. Beautifully filmed too.
    Nice to meet you at Five!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  16. The lighthouse looks very beautiful against the blue sky but it must have been a hard, lonely life during the 19th and early 20th centuries without power.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful lighthouse! Wouldn't want to climb all those stairs, though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have enjoyed the tour, thank you! And shorts, SHORTS?! Some people are very brave. Your photos are beautiful and I would love to see some blue sky like that. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sorry to be late visiting, but I wanted to wait until the link had closed and I could write to everyone who had taken part. Thank you so much for your support of Five On Friday this week and in the weeks gone by. I do so appreciate it and have really enjoyed reading your posts. I hope that you will enjoy going to the new link up just as much and will continue to take part. I hope that I will still see you at my blog sometimes, I will of course still be visiting you sometimes too! Best wishes and many thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.